Using DisplayLink with Windows 8.1
ID: 346 - Updated: Oct 25, 2013 - Category: Install/Uninstall
DisplayLink support Windows 8.1 from v7.4 software onwards. The latest release of software to support Windows 8.1 can be downloaded
If you are upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, please read on the suggested method below.
Upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1?
Before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, DisplayLink strongly recommends installing v7.4 software or later on Windows 8.
This will ensure your
work after OS upgrade. Once v7.4 is installed on Windows 8, you can continue to upgrade the OS to Windows 8.1.
Upgrading to Windows 8.1 in a corporation with DisplayLink MSI files?
If upgrading to Windows 8.1 in a corporate environment either:
- Uninstall the previous DisplayLink software, as described in section 7 of the corporate install guide, before upgrading the OS. Then install v7.4 M2 or later once Windows 8.1 is installed
- Update to v7.4 M2 or later before upgrading to Windows 8.1.
I have upgraded to Windows 8.1, but did not upgrade to v7.4 software first. What do I do?
Don't worry, your DisplayLink devices can still work. Please download v7.4 M2 or later from our downloads page. Once you install this later release on Windows 8.1, your DisplayLink
devices should work again.
I've tried installing the latest software and I still cannot get my DisplayLink devices to work on Windows 8.1
It is possible that the previous DisplayLink software installed has been corrupted during the OS upgrade. To recover this, please
follow the steps below:
- Disconnect the DisplayLink device from the computer
- Uninstall DisplayLink Core software from Control Panel->Programs. Don't worry if this fails, just move onto the next step.
- Download and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool.
- Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot
- Now download and run the latest DisplayLink software from our downloads page
- Reconnect the DisplayLink device to the PC.
< Back to Knowledgebase